Poison ivy is a common cause of a skin irritation called contact dermatitis that may result in a red, itchy rash consisting of small bumps, blisters or swelling.
Most people have some level of sensitivity to poison ivy and similar toxic plants, such as poison oak and poison sumac. The irritating substance is the same for each plant, an oily resin called urushiol (u-ROO she-ol).
Rashes caused by poison ivy and its cousins generally aren’t serious, but they certainly can be bothersome. Treatment for poison ivy mostly consists of self-care methods to relieve the itching until the reaction goes away.
Signs and symptoms of a poison ivy rash include: Continue reading About Poison ivy rash